07 November 2007

holiday spirit of service, traditions

I must confess... I've been listening to the Christmas radio stations. Fully knowing I'll regret it come Christmas Eve when the sound of "Merry Christmas, Darling" makes me want to swerve into the car in the next lane over, I just can't help myself! Whether or not you believe in Jesus Christ or the nativity story, it's hard to deny that there is something special about this time of year that really seems to bring people together. The simple caring about another person, by donating food to Link or donating to Toys for Tots; it changes people's hearts.


Each fall, our family draws names for Christmas. I'm buying this year for my brother-in-law's sister Liz. We set a price limit and then exchange gifts on Christmas Day. We decided a few years ago to set the price limit a little lower and use anything extra to put towards Christmas for another family in need. One year, we went out and bought toys and various things for a family from church who we knew needed a little help. Christmas Eve, Dad, Kevin, and I went to deliver the gifts in a car they wouldn't be able to recognize. Kevin took a large trash bag filled with gifts to the door, rang the doorbell and took his time, just slightly jogging back to the car. Before any time at all, the door was flung open and Kevin was sprinting for the car door. As we barely got away unrecognized, we saw a young boy in the family start after the car at full pace until we turned off of the street. He wanted so badly to see who had done this for his family. I'm so grateful for that experience and hope to never forget it. Every so often, I would see that same young boy wearing the sweater that I happened to pick out for him and the memory flooded back into my heart each time. Even now, it brings a desire to do all that I can to look for opportunities to serve whenever I can. We can literally act as angels in others' lives if we only allow for it to happen. They need those blessings as much as we need the blessings that we receive from humble service. I love Christmas and am admittedly in the holiday spirit. Luke and I have already been so blessed in our marriage and we hope to be able to somehow return the favor.

I can't help but think about traditions. With the beginning of a new family, I have the opportunity to think about our own traditions that we can begin as a couple (and hopefully carry on as we someday have our own children).

What are your favorite holiday traditions that you couldn't live without (or at least wouldn't want to)?

No comments: