14 November 2008

the time has come!!!

As some of you may know, throughout the later stages of my pregnancy, I have had an excess of amniotic fluid. Sometimes this indicates problems with the baby, but in this case they really don't know why, so no big deal, right? Well, when you have too much fluid, it makes it more likely for the cord to come out before the head and wrap around the baby's neck. This is something that can be taken care of during labor, but it's harder to do when the baby gets bigger. Since my baby is on the big side already (she was 6 and 1/2 pounds 2 weeks ago), the doctor and we have decided to induce.... on MONDAY! I go in Monday at 7:30 p.m. where they'll break my water, put me on some antibiotics (I have something called GBS), then the doctor thinks that itself might get my body into the early stages of labor without the more invasive stuff like pitocin, which makes your contractions more intense, etc. Anyway, by Tuesday morning if not much has changed, they'll help me along a little. I'm already dilated at 3 cm and partially effaced, so who knows what will happen.

So, now something that was just in the near future has an actual date or arrival! I felt like we were really ready, but at the same time, now I feel like we have so much to do this weekend to really get ready. We still need a changing pad and I need to pack my overnight bag for the hospital! I have a general list and have checked online, but any suggestions on things that would be nice to have there during the slow labor process? I think I'm going to make a mix CD because they have stereo systems in the rooms so I can listen to whatever I want during the labor :)

We are very excited and can't wait to meet our little girl so soon! Apparently she has a lot of hair already (Luke's part Native American). I can't wait to get her out of my belly and into my arms! Wish us luck!!!

11 comments:

lex said...

yay! I know you have family close but I hope you'll let me know if you need anything this weekend to get ready for the big day. I am an excellent runner of errands.

Meg said...

How exciting! I wish you the best of luck- and just enjoy it. It's so amazing!!!

Kate said...

Heidi, we're so incredibly excited for you and luke!!!!! good luck with everything!

also, i believe the newly remodeled rooms have dvd players, so bring your fave movies for a slow labor!!!! i hope you have a wonderful experience and our prayers are with you!

Me said...

Heidi,

After being there for 2 of my sister's deliveries, here are my suggestions:

A fan (mechanical one that can sit on the hospital bed table) for your face.

Tennis balls. I know they say this, and people think--whatever---but they actually can be very helpful.

Socks for your feet--or slippers.

Wheat thins or soda crackers (I know--they don't want you to eat. But seriously--you're starving!! So hide them and have Luke sneak you some if you're starving!)

A long robe (cause those hospital things are dumb!)

Make sure they put a hospital gown on the front and back of you--either that or you'll be feeling a draft.

Oh--really big, thick (I mean thick) maxi pads (of a brand you usually like--cause you may not like the kind they give you)

Pain medication (like ibuprofin) for after the birth.

Um..the outfit you want the pictures of the baby taken in.

And anything else you know Luke will have a hard time finding or remembering to bring up when you're stuck in the hospital. My sister had her first 6 weeks early...so anything she couldn't remember...she basically had to go without.

Oh..chapstick (the normal kind you use), any meds you're usually on, and money for food for Luke (or food for Luke). Yea---it was always fun to get to the hospital and be starving!

Oh..and you may want to bring a bath towel, cause sometimes the hospitals towels are like really skimpy!

Anyway...hope that helps ;)Hope all goes wonderfully!

Darla said...

Sounds like you're making good progress on your own already! It often takes the longest to get to 5cm, then goes pretty quick from there. Hopefully you'll be able to go in, be induced, and sleep! If you can, enjoy, cuz once she's here it might be awhile before you'll get another chance. Good luck! I'll keep you in my thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Good luck Heidi!!! Hope everything goes well!

Lori said...

I wouldn't worry too much. The hospital has most of everything you'll need. Bring stuff that makes you comfortable. Only you know what that is. I brought some hard candy in with Elise and had a couple in between ice chips but other than that - no food is recommended, especially if you're the "feel sick" type.
You'll do fine. You might want to borrow a video camera??

Chad and Amber said...

I'm so excited for you! I packed pretty much everything and brought it with me to the hospital, and didn't really use any of it. Bring comfy clothes to go home in (you'll still look 5 months prego when you leave, depressing- I know). I brought some card games and stuff to play while I waited. A lot of hospitals have movies there to check out too. Good luck with everything!

rebecca said...

(not for labor itself, but hospital time)Totally be prepared to send food back. And, if it still looks gross the nurses can get you 'snacks' they have on hand. The best snack is the 'sandwich.' It comes with chips or crackers and fruit or something. All I remember was, it was great when at 5am I was starving the night after Alice arrived. Of course when breakfast arrived an hour later, I was not hungry.

Oh, and you should have some food for Luke if he rooms in with you. Daniel ate lots of microwaveable food and cereal.

keighty said...

bobby wants to know why you don't just squirt some of the amniotic fluid out. seems like a good idea.

bring mayo. YOU know why.

brooke said...

and remember to ask for your baby's birthday cake!!! they have small sheridan's cakes at the hospital for new parents...we ended up eating two by the time we went home thanks to lanny.
also, after she is born, the sooner you get into the jacuzzi tub the better you will feel. i put it off for too long, but once i got in it was sooo heavenly!!!