06 November 2007

back to work and... a little about the honeymoon

(I promise all of my blogs won't be this wordy... some of them... most of them probably will be though :)

I ventured back to work today. I did cough some, but I think I was ready. I was going crazy being at home so much by myself. At least when I have kids (some day) I'll have them to entertain me. One of the kids threw up and had to go home. You know how most people at least stop walking and bend over if they feel like they're going to throw up? Not this kid... he just kept going... and got it all over his mom. That poor sweet woman.

The interesting thing about my job is that I thought it would take a lot of patience. Well, it does, but with my coworkers, not so much the students like I had thought. There is this silly feud going on (one para is particularly difficult to handle) and I'm trying to stay out of it, but what do you do when someone is getting so involved that he/she's losing sight of what is actually going on? I struggle when I see someone getting into a student's face... especially in the special education program. I don't know of anyone who enjoys another person getting into his face. How does that fulfill the duty of a para to assist in learning and constructive functional skills? That's all I'm saying.

On another note, I'm almost done with the photo books. I've completely finished one and now I'm just waiting for Luke to write his little wedding day reflection before the other one can be finished. I just wish I had space to include pictures about the honeymoon. Oh but lucky me! I can just put some of them on here! :) We honestly didn't do much for a honeymoon. Luke's dad was so generous as to pay for our hotel... 3 nights in St. Louis... the Marriott right by the airport. It was a nice hotel and we made use of the pool and hot tub as well as being able to order TV shows that we missed from the week before (The Office).

As many times as I've been to St. Louis, I had never been to the zoo OR the arch! So, that's what we did. I took way too many pictures of the animals at the zoo. Everything was so beautiful there... the gardens, even the structures. Some of my favorites were the penguins, the polar bear, the sea lions (I got a fun video of them during feeding time) and the giraffes. I took a lot of pictures and Luke was getting a little impatient toward the end because he was really hungry. In my defense, it was his idea to go to the zoo and not eat until after. The room with the penguins was really cold and smelled kind of funny (they said it was the water that smelled funny). There were a ton of people in there, but I still got some cute pictures! They also had puffins, which are so cute, but weren't very photogenic for me. Zoos are so cool.

We had fun walking in the park that surrounds the arch. It's a popular spot for sitting and for runners... the park was full of people who you could tell lived in the city. We watched where the locals went and decided to eat at a delicious Italian Bar & Grill called Caleco's on a nearby corner, while we waited for our time to go up into the arch. Luke's spaghetti carbonara was amazing (I ate more than my share of it), but the pizza I got was just okay. I ended up eating 1 and 1/2 pieces and then we chucked the rest (This gave me the opportunity to learn that I do not like sweet pizza sauce). The weather was beautiful until we came out of the arch... then it poured on us (just in time for us to travel back to Lawrence in the car... for hours... wet from the rain... awesome).

We had a lot of fun even though we only spent about 10 minutes actually at the top of the arch. The little pods you sit in would be so cool if it weren't for the fact that they make you completely claustrophobic. They cram 5 people into a space that should really only fit 2, so we got nice and cozy with the strangers in the pod with us. Of course the view was gorgeous, even through the cloudy little windows made of plastic.

One thing we established on our honeymoon was a little collection. Who knows how long it will last, but since we didn't have any magnets for our fridge, we decided that we would buy a magnet any time we went somewhere cool. At least that's a somewhat useful collection and not too expensive either. I'm just glad I had my camera there because that's the best kind of souvenir you can get anyway. Our honeymoon was a nice relaxing long weekend (complete with The Office and 3 Target runs), and really that's all you can hope for, right?

No comments: