17 September 2008

a night of firsts

Tuesday morning I woke up at about 3:15 a.m. to throw up. In the following 3 hours this would happen 3 more times... and well, it happened several more times within that 12 hour period. I couldn't even hold down water and my temperature was slowly rising. Once my temperature got to over 100 degrees, we decided it was time to go to the ER. I was admitted to a room in the OB at about 9:00 p.m. where they hooked me up to a baby monitor and an IV (for hydration) and gave me some medicine in the IV for nausea so I could start to hold down at least something. The first place they tried to do the IV didn't work because I was so dehydrated (that makes your veins smaller), so they ended up putting it in my hand. Anyway, we were out of there around midnight and they put me on a clear liquid diet for 24 hours, so now I'm just at home resting and trying to be as nourished as possible on my water, 7up, and chicken broth. I felt MUCH better by the time we left the hospital and am slowly feeling better and better. I should even be back to work tomorrow.

So, last night included a lot of first time experiences for me. It was my first time going to the ER, first time being admitted to the hospital, first time to have to ride in a wheelchair, first time to have an IV, first time to be hooked up to a baby monitor.

I'm glad to be home and that I'm able to hold down liquids now, so yay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez Louise! Heidi, this is not the time to experience some firsts. That's intense, I'm glad you're starting to feel better now. Let us know if you all need something. Keep up the good work of feeling better.

lex said...

Heidi! I thought this was going to be a post of fun firsts. Definitely not. I'm sorry you had to have those particular firsts this week. Glad to hear things are looking up.

keighty said...

you know, i could give you some pointers to help you get more face time in the er. i'm an old pro.