19 August 2008

back to school

Well, I've been back at my normal job since last monday, which would explain some of the lack of posting. A lot has happened in the last couple of weeks, but I won't mention all of it. I am alive and well, though it's getting harder every day to sleep comfortably. I'll take time to post pictures and more detailed info about my whereabouts, but here are some things to mention now.

  • my little brother Eric was ordained an Elder this past Sunday. yay for that. congrats, Eric!
  • we're almost completely unpacked finally. our bedroom looks much better now than it did a week ago, that's for sure.
  • Luke also started work last Monday at a junior high in town. He works in their library as a computer lab tech, which he seems to be enjoying for the most part.
  • Reading scriptures and praying everyday with your spouse really does make a difference. We have recommitted and I am glad.

And well, YAY FOR THE OLYMPICS! I've really enjoyed watching the different events and am so impressed with the persistence and diligence these athletes have! I am especially proud of the several USA swimmers who have received medals. I don't even need to mention Michael Phelps, but I will, because wow! That 7th gold was so intense with him winning by 1/100th of a second! I just couldn't believe it! And I cried at the All-Around female gymnastics competition where we won the gold AND silver. So cool. The past week we've really been coming home, taking a nap, then watching the Olympics until it's over. I don't know what we'll do when they're over :P

Also, I have to say that one person really does make a difference. We got a new teacher in our classroom this year and it has already caused so many positive changes. I didn't want to go back to this classroom at first, but with this change I think it's going to be a great (though still PLENTY exhausting) year. Yay for that. Oh, and I strongly believe that our department should be warned about fire drills... I had a student break down into a complete anxiety attack today. She completely lost control screaming, crying, biting down on her hand as hard as she could, flailing her limbs, etc, and it took me quite a while to get her to listen to me enough that I could pull her out of her chair and get her to walk outside with me. It was about 20 minutes before she could even start to settle down. It is so hard to see what little control these kids have sometimes. I am grateful to understand God's plan, especially that there was a pre-existence where we dwelled with God and were able to make decisions about our time on earth. I know that the physical, mental, and emotional strains these kids experience are only temporary and that they will be blessed in the eternities because of their willingness to endure those things.

4 comments:

Beth said...

First, I am making fun of you for crying during Olympics gymnastics.
Second, the administration here always tells teachers when there's going to be a fire drill.
Third, there are a lot of positive changes in my school as well. Yay!

Me said...

Hey,

I had a student who would fall down on the floor and refuse to move, screaming and crying with fire alarms. I and her mom worked to have it written into her IEP that the admin HAD to tell us when a fire drill would be because it was completely un-safe to carry her out of the school when the behavior could be avoided with warning (with the warning we could then remove her 5 minutes before the drill outside). I had an admin argue once "Well, shouldn't she have to learn how to cope with a real drill" and my argument was as follows: In UT it is actually illegal (and actually, with IDEA in general it is also illegal, but a little harder to find the legal language within the law) to have to intervene in such a high intrusive way (lift and carry her/physically force her) out of the building, when the environment can so easily be set up so she can be removed before-hand. Then I explained that in a REAL fire, as her LIFE would be in danger cause of the fire, we then could legally physically force her out of the building, and would have the law behind us if anyone was injured cause her REAL LIFE WOULD THEN BE IN DANGER. He really couldn't argue with that one--and as mom was a great advocate, and advocating for this--it was placed on her IEP, so they had to do it. Feel free to share that story from a "friend who taught special ed. for a long time" to the teacher, if she's willing to hear it. :)

Me said...

disillusioned is Mary

Meg said...

I love reading about all your musings! You are wonderful!